Thursday, March 24, 2011

We want YOU on our Presidential Billboard!

With the Peruvian Presidential elections coming up April 10th, you can only imagine how crazy the propaganda has been around here! Every tree, wall, home...covered with posters and pictures of the 10 candidates! Yes, that's right, there are 10 candidates running for president.

Anyways, I thought I would share a little experience that Steph (the other girl who lives in my house) and I had the other night. 


Steph and I heard music outside of our home, so naturally we went searching to find it and join in the festivities. We arrived at the plaza (the little park a block from our house) were we found a small crowd of people, music and dancing. We, the naive American girls, thought the evening was for Dia de Las Mujeres, an international celebration for women around the world that was taking place that day.  It turned out to be a rally for a Peruvian presidential candidate. Having no idea what was happening, we joined in happily.  The party members (aka:old men at the rally) asked us to dance in the front of the crowd. Everyone was clapping for us and begging us to stay up in front to show off our "moves."  We somehow were coaxed into getting our pictures taken with the very awkward  presidential candidate and walked home with a prize bowl wrapped in Quinceanera party paper thanks to my lucky raffle ticket. There is still a week until the election, keep your eyes open for a Peruvian billboard saying “The gringas have my vote, you should too!”


....needless to say, Steph and I are sure we fill find our white faces plastered on some life size Presidential poster in Lima. 

No comments:

Post a Comment