Dilcia, my host mom here in Peru has been the biggest of all blessings, without a doubt. Yesterday, while at the beach, one of my new Peruvian friends asked me what the best part of my Peruvian experience has been so far. Without needing a second to think, I immediately knew my answer: My mama peruana, Dilcia. :)
Tia Dilcia (Aunt Dilcia) as she has me call her, is one of the most inspirational, beautiful, Godly women I have ever met. From the moment she picked me up from the airport, I knew there was something different about her. She is so happy....all the time, eluding such a Christ-like joy.
The first morning I spent in Lima quite perfectly represents the person that Dilcia is....My flight came in that morning at 8am and I had not slept in forever, was pretty overwhelmed with all the 24 hours of traveling and new sights, people, language, etc. I was laying in my new bed, suitcases still unpacked....trying to take in everything that was happening...knowing how badly I needed to shower, brush my teeth, and change my clothes....but not finding the energy to do any of the above. Then I heard Dilcia's sweet voice call my name from the kitchen. I went to find her sitting in the dining room waiting for me, two place settings prepared, a beautiful Peruvian breakfast spread out across the table, and a jar of fresh fruit juice ready waiting for us. She invited me to sit down and relax. We prayed together in Spanish before beginning our meal, something very familiar to me that immediately put me at ease. The two of us ended up sitting there for over two hours, talking, laughing, and sharing stories. Our conversation quickly settled upon God. :) Dilcia told me all about her faith, her love for God, and the route it took for her to get there. She shared with me her story...her life before Christ...and her life now, a "transformación" she called it. :) I shared my faith story with her as well and it wasn't long before we were both smiling and noting how beautiful and intentional God's work was in this "host family" placement. It just felt so right.
Since that first morning, Dilcia and I continue to grow closer and closer daily through our mutual love for Christ. Whether it be at meal times, or on our walks to the mercado, or just sitting outside of Sunday Mass chatting with other women, faith is constantly finding its way into everything we share. Dilcia is such a beautiful example of someone who puts their faith into action. Every single night, without fail, she leaves our home from 7-9pm to go and volunteer at the church, El Corazón Sagrado de Jesus. She is on a committee that is planning a Catholic retreat for youth ages 18-25, (I am going! It is this weekend!) and she is so passionate about youth coming to know God. She is always having women over to our house to plan for the retreat late into the night, handing out flyers after Masses, and throwing out subtle invites to my friends that come over to visit me at home! :)
I have loved sharing Christian music in Spanish with Dilcia, attending Eucharistic Adoration with her, learning new Spanish prayers, comparing Bibles and favorite verses, and sitting in on her weekly Bible Study that she hosts at our house.
I never expected God to place me with such an amazing, inspirational and encouraging woman....! And what a blessing that I get to live under her roof, her care for an entire semester...learning from her wisdom on a daily basis! But that's the amazing thing about God, He blesses us with gifts when we least expect them. :)
Dilcia and I in front of the church we attend together!
No comments:
Post a Comment